Merchandise! not souvenir anymore

Although the topic has become more clear in these few days, I always fell that ‘brand souvenirs’ is not the right word to describe the subject I would like to talk about. I found it difficult to reach the results which are relevant enough when searching by ‘brand souvenirs’.

In Chinese, there is a word called “周边”, referring to a product with unique brand culture or brand identity but not the main product of a brand such as a tote bag with a brand logo, a pair of earring sold in Tate Modern, a cup of Starbuck, or a brooch with the portrait of an artist.

The good thing was that, on the tutorial yesterday, my tutor helped me identify my subject as ‘merchandise’ and took the products on the website of ‘Toilet paper magazine’ as an example.

merchandise of the Toilet paper magazine

I was immediately attracted to it, and I realized that this was what I was interested in.

Merchandise refers to a product with unique brand culture or brand identity but not the main product of a brand. Or it can be connected with a film, music, artwork and so on.

It is a shorting of merchandise, usually used for fandoms.

For children: is most prominently seen in connection with films and videogames, usually those in current release and with television shows oriented towards children.

Sometimes a brand of non-media products can achieve enough recognition and respect that simply putting its name or images on a completely unrelated item can sell that item.

It is regarded as a marketing tool, extending the meaning of the brand, and using their audience like walking advertisements. It is an important part of promotion.

Nowadays, brand merchandise goes farther away with promotion purpose.